VOYAGE yachts has taken their popular and most recent model, the VOYAGE 480, to a new level by equipping it with the Silent Electric Autonomy (SEA) integrated network of systems from OCEANVOLT.
While VOYAGE Yachts manufactures semi-custom yachts for the private market, this new VOYAGE 480, which is called “electrified,” is joining the VOYAGE Charters fleet in the British Virgin Islands, and will be available in Tortola in February 2019 for vacation rentals as a “bareboat” or with a captain (and even a chef if you like!). Chartering a yacht through VOYAGE Charters is a great way for anyone interested in possibly owning a VOYAGE yacht to try it out first. For more information about their charter program, visit: http://www.voyagecharters.com
This electric version of the VOYAGE 480 uses twin electric motors for propulsion and a large bank of batteries to power all is systems and equipment, which includes air conditioning and a reverse-osmosis water desalination plant.
The twin electric motors provide equivalent power to 45hp diesel engines but with no discernible noise or exhaust emissions. The vessel also has a similar motoring range to the diesel engine version of the 480, as its large battery bank has 4 separate charging sources, including a standby DC generator.
Fully automated battery charging requires minimal management by the captain, and also offers remote monitoring and diagnostics.
The electric motors are virtually maintenance free and the standby generator will, if at all, run for only a fraction of the time a standard yacht would require with the same systems.
The upgraded specification on this electric boat includes:
- 2 x 15kW Electric Drives from OCEANVOLT
- 35kWh lithium-iron-magnesium-phosphate battery bank (smaller, lighter and more efficient than conventional batteries, which can be charged very quickly and discharged more fully, providing greater capacity).
- 1.6kW solar array on the bimini, which provides continuous charge to the batteries during daylight hours.
- Hydro generation under sail, roughly 2kW at average VOYAGE 480 sailing speeds (a control at the helm engages the propellers to spin and send a charge back to the batteries)
- 22kW standby DC generator, which can be programmed to automatically turn on and recharge the batteries when needed. With this standby system, the vessel will never be without power, even if sun or wind are limited.
This integrated network of systems is well proven from the industry leader in this technology, OCEANVOLT.
Driven by home and automobile applications, battery and solar panel technology has reached a level of reliability and performance that makes the VOYAGE 480 electric an exciting next step for VOYAGE Yachts and VOYAGE Charters.
Designer VOYAGE Yachts
Overall Length 15.10 m | 49.5 ft
Waterline Length 13.56 m | 44.5 ft
Beam 7.65 m | 25.1 ft
Draft 1.1 m | 3.5 ft
Mast Height off DWL 20.80 m | 68.22 ft
Displacement 10450 kg | 22990 lbs
Sail area 125 m2 | 1320 ft2
Water Capacity 400 l | 106 US Gal
Fuel Capacity 400 l | 106 US Gal
2 x Engines 45 Hp YANMAR
Berths 10 or 8
Seating capacity 10